This bird was wading around in the pond in Fota Gardens.
Since I started using oils in January 2012, a lot of my pictures had quite muted colour schemes, especially the last two I did. So in this one I used a variety of bright colours on the roses. The central pale rose had to have very pure mixes; the slightest amount of impurity and the colour would be a faded grey mud. Overall this was a very challenging and absorbing painting.
Now this was intense work! All fine detail from one side of the board to the other. A week into it, I had to do another painting because I knew I was in for a long haul and had to do something else to have a sense of completing something. I think it was worth it though.